Monday, August 4, 2014

Capsule Wardrobe Staples



I'm a member of the school of thought that if you feel good, you look good. I feel like the biggest babe in freshly washed spandex, my boyfriend's hand-me-down Black Flag tee, and combat boots – so if you know me, you’ve probably seen me wear that, or something similar, a variety of times. I basically wear the same few items, over and over again, in slightly different combinations because I think you should wear what makes you feel confident, what makes you feel comfortable and what makes you feel cute.
 
For me, my personal style is a hybrid of monochromatic-classic style with a grungy Baltimore influence. In my capsule wardrobe, you'll find stripes and polka dots, some solid black dresses and rompers, lots of crisp whites and pops of red (or pale pink if I'm feeling risky). 

In setting up my capsule wardrobe, I figured out some staples that I would need to help the mixing and matching go by smoothly.

- Ripped boyfriend jeans: Angelo is a follower of the "I can't believe you paid for ripped jeans" belief. I don't care though – these vintage Levi's were a thrift find of one of my favorite instashops (fashionableprocrastination) who distressed them herself. They're not too ripped up, they're just baggy enough while still being flattering. I dress them up by cuffing them and wearing them with heeled booties, or pointed toed flats but I can rock them casually with ballet flats and a band tee. 


The perfect boyfriend jeans, with just the right amount of distressing.

Shirts you can live in: my three favorite shirts in my entire closet are as follows – an oversized, paper thin camo tee that I snagged for $10 at Urban Outfitter’s sale, an oversized white muscle tee that I picked up for $1.50 at H&M and a black lace tee from Madewell that I thrifted. What I absolutely love about these three shirts is that they can be either incredibly casual or I can dress them up – using skinny jeans, skirts and cute shoes. They’re perfect starting points for outfits that can go a variety of places – out for dinner and a movie with Angelo, to work or just for a lazy day at the park with the dogs. 

My go-to camo tee with a repeat appearance by my Levi's. Told you they were staples.

- Belts: I was never super into belts… ok wait, I was actually really into one belt – that I stole from my grandmother’s vintage a few years ago. It’s a skinny, black leather belt with a snakeskin sort of pattern and a gold band. It’s incredibly tiny, so I can basically wear it for a new hours and then I usually throw it in my purse. It’s also pretty much falling apart because it’s been my only belt for about six years. A few thrift trips ago, I found a really cool black leather belt with some silver detailing and I snapped it up. I’ve been having a lot of fun with it because it’s way chunkier than I’m used to – and definitely becomes a statement piece for any outfit. As luck would have it, my mom saw my thrift store belt and realized my grandmother had a much more glamorous version of it – basically an awesome black leather belt made up of different silver pieces. It’s heavy, attention grabbing and perfect. I wore it to an outdoor concert last week with a white slip dress and felt like I had walked off someone’s Pinterest.

Seriously though, Pinterest treats me right and this outfit was perfect for a night at an outdoor venue.

What’s great about my wardrobe staples is that they can be worn in such a variety of ways – and that they look pretty great when paired together. It’s often simple things that can totally elevate an outfit – don’t you think?

What would your closet staples be for a capsule wardrobe? Check out how I’m rocking mine at @teenwitch_
Thanks!

also a note! I'm working on getting better quality pictures, so all my more recent stuff will be of better quality. thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment