Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Head to Toe Black and 73 Questions

Have you caught the 73 questions with Anna Wintour video? It's pretty amazing, if I do say so myself and when I watched it I noticed that Anna Wintour and I agree on a lot.

Favorite Action Star? Hugh Jackman. Yes.

Polka Dots or Stripes? Both. Yes.

Sparkling water or flat? Sparkling. Yes.

What would you never, ever wear? Head to toe black.

Wait.

What?

Yes, that's right. She mentions it AGAIN too, so she really means it. Really, really means it. And it is sort of rocking my style morals. I've got black hair, an abundance of black cardigans, staple black tees and black jeans that get the most wear out of anything in my closet. And now I'm hearing that head to toe black is a no?

Like I said, WHAT?

To give me even more of an existential crisis, it's Anna Wintour of all people saying it. That woman knows what she's talking about - so I decided to test out some basic outfits that I would normally wear head-to-toe black and added a small pop of something non-black. This doesn't really mean color, since my closet is pretty monochromatic at this point.
Round 1.
On Friday, instead of throwing on my favorite oversized black tee, I paired my black jeans, black boots and fuzzy black cardigan with a light grey tee from Madewell. I liked the break up of the grey because it brought some attention to my waist – and combined with the booties seemed to elongate my legs. Ok Anna, you win this round.
Round 2.
Over the weekend, I tossed on my black jeans and black sweatshirt from Madewell and brushed my newly dyed black hair, but added my cream colored Converses for good measure. Along with a small pop of green from the flannel that I layered underneath, I think that my sneakers paired with all the black helped me achieve the sort of laid-back cool, look that Madewell achieves so effortlessly in all of their advertisements. So, I guess Anna wins this round too.

I still really love channeling my inner witchy woman and rocking all black – but now I'm interested in adding small pops of something (whether it's a purple-pink lipstick, some peach colored heels or even a brown scarf) to my outfits. In my opinion, it just sort of elevates the outfits from normal to badass while still looking effortless.
Case in point - I broke up the combination of this black tee-shirt romper and long black sweater with my cream colored sneaks and a bright red lip.

Do you agree with Anna about head-to-toe black? Or are you struggling to come around like I was?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Ana partially, all black is totally fine! Its witchy & classy but pops of color with mostly black is awesome too. I actually cant bring myself to wear all black & lack a plain black shirt in my wardrobe, but I do struggle with wearing any top without a graphic unless its a long sleeve or sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that head to toe black can only be pulled off by only a certain amount of people. Those who can do it right make all black look chic/witchy/sophisticated. Adding a pop of color to an all black wardrobe makes it easier for those who can't pull off all black, it's kind of like a cheat code. I know you can rock the all black scene, you make it look effortless! If you want to wear all black, do it- cause you can do it right. Don't let anyone's answer to a question influence you from rocking whatever you want :)

    ReplyDelete