Monday, September 15, 2014

A Confession: All I want to do is Raid Claire Beauchamp's Closet


 It seems that every Monday, I find myself calling Angelo's mom to compare favorite outfits on Outlander. Are you watching Outlander? It's one of those random shows that I immediately fell into, being a historical fiction and sci-fi lover, but luckily after being forced to watch the first four episodes, Angelo seemed to accept and enjoy it – so now we watch it every Sunday night at dinner. I'm really struggling not to read the books, and have only held out on Angelo's request that I do so, so that we can both be equally surprised when we watch it.

The coat of my dreams
That being said, since I can't read the books and spoil the whole show for myself, I basically just obsess over the clothes. Historical shows, when done right, can be downright amazing with their costumes. Think The Tudors. When done incorrectly, historical shows can annoy the shit out of history buffs. Think Reign. Outlander seems to do a great job of keeping clothes historically accurate, while still having a ton of fun with accessories and costumes. Maybe it's not entirely realistic to have Claire change her outfit five times when she's out on the road, but someone in the wardrobe department is seriously knitting their heart out – and deserves the recognition.

I would be okay with just living here, in that outfit, in all seriousness.
Claire's Scottish wardrobe is basically made up of all things wonderful – plaids, chunky knits and killer coats. When she gets her first "makeover" into 1743 fashion, I couldn't get past the arm warmers that seemed to be knit specifically for her. The next few outfits she rocked the comfiest looking cowls and then, a few episodes later, she was wearing a coat that almost killed me. Seriously. I love fall, I love cold and rainy weather, and I love chunky knits. I basically want everything she wears – except the weird corset.

That scarf and those arm warmers - I just can't deal.
It shouldn't come as any sort of surprise then that my Fall Capsule Wardrobe is slightly Outlander inspired. I wouldn't even be surprised if I turned out to be part-Scottish – I can get pretty sassy and Angelo says I'm hard to understand when I talk.

While it's still a bit too warm to rock a cowl, arm warmers and a fur coat, cold weather accessories are making their way onto websites and into stores.  I've got my eye on a few from ASOS – particularly this faux fur infinity scarf. It's super cozy and adorable, and totally reminds me of Claire's coat that I'm so in love with.
ASOS - Faux fur infinity scarf
I also have no problem with integrating plaid into my Fall Capsule. Maybe it's the 13 years of Catholic schooling, but it just seems right to throw on a plaid skirt when it's cold out. I snagged this one from @10dollardressshop and I'm in love with it. It's a vintage little Tablots plaid pencil skirt, and it makes me feel very modern day Claire Beauchamp.
Excuse the mirror pic, I'm computer-less for the next two days.

Do you watch Outlander? If so, are you as costume obsessed as I am? I mean – did you see that coat?!


2 comments:

  1. Dude. I feel the same way about plaid, polos and khakis. Damn, catholic school! Except I've definitely come around to the tartan the last couple years. But you'll never catch me in a polo and I can't even look at khaki. Love the jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your obsession but aside from that I hadnt realized how relavent the show is to current affairs

    ReplyDelete